Across the month of August, cafes, bakeries, pubs, and more across Ballarat will be selling limited edition creations as part of Ballarat’s Best Pie Competition. A total of 20 pies from 19 different venues have been entered, across sweet and savoury flavours.
Hosted by culinary journalist Sofia Levin, the awards for Ballarat’s Best Pie 2023 will take place at Hop Temple on August 5, while the pies will be available for purchase throughout the month.
The unique creations will be judged by Tim Bone (MasterChef Australia) Jack van der Heyden (radio host), Kate Davis (Plate Up Ballarat Festival Director), and Richard Cornish (food writer).
The list of participating pies and venues includes:
- Ultimate Egg and Bacon Pie by Eclectic Tastes Café & Pantry
- Mexican Breakfast Pie by The Turret Café & Catering
- Beef Cheek Ragu Pie by Forge Pizzeria
- Beef Brisket and Mushroom Melt Pie by Mitchell Harris Wines
- Teriyaki Duck Pie by Grainery Lane
- Beef and Beer Pie by Aunty Jacks
- Miso Sweet Potato Pie by Roy Hammond
- Chicken Truffle Pie by Black Cat Truffles
- Mrs Marshall’s Mushroom Pie by Sovereign Hill
- Lamb Roast Pie by Flying Horse Entertainment Venue
- Lamb and Rosemary Pie by The Western Hotel
- Barbacoa and Cheese Pie by Hop Temple
- Babi Pongteh Pie by Flying Chillies (available at Red Duck Brewery)
- Mapo Tofu Pie by Flying Chillies (available at Red Duck Brewery)
- Paddock to Pie by Wayward Winery
- Smoked Brisket and American Cheddar Pie by 1816 Bakehouse
- Sri Lankan Beef Curry Pie by Beechworth Bakery
- The BLC by Ballarat Leagues Club
- Raspberry Drop Curd Pie by Sovereign Hill
- Grandma Harriet’s Bramble and Apple Pie by Kilderkin Distillery