2020 was a wash out, but The Great Australian Vanilla Slice Triumph Merbein will be back and better than ever in August 2021 with dates revealed!
The hotly contested competition will take place at Merbein on Saturday, August 14.
Starting in the tiny town of Ouyen, Victoria back in 1998, over the course of two decades The Great Australian Vanilla Slice Triumph has become one of the biggest events on the baking calendar. Winning the Triumph is a big deal, with the title proving to be a big pulling card for customers keen to taste a piece of Australia’s best vanilla slice.
Like all great heroes, the competition itself has a great origin story. The story goes that The Great Vanilla Slice Triumph began in Ouyen in 1998 after then-Victorian premier Geoff Kennett claimed the vanilla slice from the town’s Mallee Bakery was the best he’d ever tasted. Locals challenged Kennett to give them an event to boost the local economy and put the tiny Mildura town on the map. They suggested the Formula 1 Grand Prix, and he countered with the Vanilla Slice competition.
Kennett personally supported the Triumph, acting as a guest judge until 2005. In 2011, Ouyen awarded the rights to host the competition to Merbein, another Sunraysia town.
Visit the official website to RSVP and get your entries in.
PROFESSIONAL & APPRENTICE
- One Entry per Business for Professional section.
- One Entry per Person for the Apprentice section.
- Ten Vanilla Slices must be presented with a square or rectangle shape.
- When judged, the slice should reveal custard with a creamy smooth texture and balance of vanilla taste with a crisp, crunchy pastry topped with a smooth and shiny glaze/fondant.
NOTE: The winning product submitted for judging in the Professional Section ONLY must be available in store for a period of no less than 3 months after date of competition. Slices in store MUST contain the same ingredients as entered in competition.
- One Entry per person for the Professional Innovative section.
- Ten Flavoured Slices must be presented.
- May your own imagination be the only limit for your creation. Your slice, however, at a minimum, requires you to showcase both elements of pastry work and custard filling. Be creative with design, colours and flavours if you desire.
NOTE: Professional Innovative section flavour/s MUST be listed with entry
Entries must be delivered to the rear of Club Merbein, 108 Commercial Street Merbein. Access via Fishers Lane (between Railway Avenue and O’Bryan St). Entries will only be received between 8am – 12pm on Friday, August 13, 2021 Winners announced Saturday, August 14.